Saturday, January 1, 2011

Stuff I Like Right Now

Heidi thinks some of my posts are too . . . something. Heavy? This one's not heavy, not at all.


Some stuff I like right now...


Mumford and Sons. I did a FB status a few weeks ago asking for music suggestions and got a few nods to M and S. Thanks.


Same for Kings of Leon.


True Grit. Haven't seen a movie in at least a year, maybe two, but when I saw the trailers for this film, I really wanted to see it. It occurred to me only then that I also like...


Westerns, at least recent ones (The Unforgiven, 3:10 to Yuma, Open Range). And because I really like...


Cohen brothers films (I've always known that), this one did not disappoint on either category.


Pizza. I have in mind a particular recipe, a childhood memory of eating pizza with cousins in Chicago at Gino's or Uno's, can't remember which. I'll be taking a shot at it soon, just need the right sauce. Suggestions are welcome.


Nyquil. I've been sick most of Christmas break (I'm sick every break; my body has a good sense for the calendar and knows when it can fall apart with minimal disruption to the rest of life), but I've been sleeping well. I recommend cherry flavored.


Bowl games. Doesn't matter who's playing, there's just something about watching college athletes playing what for many of them will be their last organized game of football. Whatever the something is, it's patently missing at the pro level.


My 55" TV to watch bowl games. I'm not audio/video guy. I'm not any sort of techie; in fact, I've never bought a TV in my life but have done pretty well with hand-me-downs. A couple years ago, a buddy upgraded and gave us his old one. Love it. Thanks, Tim.


Tea. It's cold out and I don't drink coffee.


My wood stove. There will come a time this winter when I'm sick of burning wood and everything associated with it. I'm not there yet. Wood is still good.


This post has caused me to think about two things: 1) I haven't included anything like wife, kids, friends, church, God. Somehow, telling the world that I like these things diminishes them. Such things are for a different category - they'd be sullied by lesser company; and 2) I don't like this kind of blogging. It's exactly the kind of writing that gives me a funny, slightly queasy feeling when I hear the word blog. The topic is me and I'm uncomfortable writing so closely on it. It's the same feeling I get when I begin, then delete, a FB update and say to myself, "who really cares what I had for dinner?" So if you said something like that to yourself as you read this, I apologize.


That being said, however, I'm not going to delete this. I want it on record that I posted a fluffy piece on stuff I like. But I think I'll stick with the heavy from now on. 


Sorry, honey.



No comments:

Post a Comment